Saturday, September 15, 2007

EarthDance 2007, 9/15/07

I was honored to participate in EarthDance 2007, an event that happens simultaneously around the world at numerous locations. It was held at the Hare Krsna Garaunga Hall. This year, the theme was “Healing the Waters”. We opened with a global collective chanting of the mantra “Om”, which brought us all to a higher state of consciousness. Around 500 people attended this event.

The spiral dance was most fun – hundreds of people linked together hand to hand, creating a human spiral to live drumming. The spiral goes in, and then it comes out again. It was challenging and exciting to see how to keep yourself linked up without bumping into others.

I closed the evening with Prabhat Samgiita and kiirtan. Fellow musicians from the Hare Krishna Youth group accompanied me, as well as my two children on tablas. The crowd went wild, crying out for Krishna after I sang. The organizer was most pleased with my performance and has agreed for me to direct the music for the next event.

There was good coverage of the event with newspaper articles and interviews on KPFT Radio. Sydney, the organizer, gave an important talk on water, the importance of conservation, and the effects of our actions on the waters of the world.


No comments: