Friday, October 19, 2007

Texas Bioneers Conference, 10/19/07

I performed in the beautiful gardens of the Emerson Unitarian Community Center at the Texas Bioneers Conference in Houston. Around 300 people attended. Before my set, I befriended a group of autistic teenagers from a private school who were curious about the sound equipment. I spent time talking with them, and giving them much affection. As I began to sing, they stood in front of me mesmerized. I felt the positive vibrations of the kiirtans and Prabhat Samgiita affecting them deeply. At the break, a few children put dollar bills in my jar. I was very touched by their gesture. Their sweetness and innocence enhanced the beauty of the colorful garden.

As I sang, I heard in the distance the sweet sound of a clarinet, playing a Middle Eastern tune. I sought out the musician, and invited him to play with me. He blended in most beautifully with the Prabhat Samgiita. I attended his workshop in Middle Eastern drumming, and could see the relation between Indian music. I explained to him the history of music; how it was organized by Lord Shiva and how originally music was created for spiritual development.

Many people commented on the good vibrations created by the music. I was invited to perform for the evening program, but declined due to previous commitments.

No comments: